Friday, July 8, 2011

A Breath of Fresh Air



I met somebody today who really brightened up my day. A library patron, just before I was due to go home. I was only at work for a half day today due to coming in during the holiday weekend to empty the bookdrops. She asked for my help with a couple things, and then she told me, "You're so nice! You're just so nice."

Her attitude was SO refreshing. I deal with a lot of people every day, people who run the gamut to very friendly like her, to downright angry and mean. I have come to see that a lot of people view coming to the library like waging some kind of battle. They don't understand the system of fines, how to use the computers, how books are organized, et cetera, so they see everything about the library as a challenge, and that includes staff. I feel bad for these people because a little understanding goes a long way in a library setting. Since I listen to complaints, anger and frustration all day long, talking to someone like this lady is a breath of fresh air.

I have been trying to focus lately on being a fresh breath of air myself. I am shy, so I am not about to go around talking to people a whole lot, but there is a lot during daily interactions that can be improved, without me thinking about it much. Eye contact, smiles, thank you, hellos. The bagger at the grocery store today had a button that said to be patient, he is hearing impaired* and I signed "thank you" to him along with speaking it, after I saw that the cashier signed a bit to him, as well. His smile made me smile. There is a lot we can do to spread kindness. I just have to remind myself to do it, because if it makes me feel good I know it makes other people feel good.

Have a great day!

*I could use a button like that myself, although I might change the wording.

No comments:

Post a Comment