Sunday, October 17, 2010

30 Day Challenge - Day 4

(See here for the complete list of days & questions.)

Day 04- A habit that you wish you didn’t have

I am such a worrier, and sometimes it is a pain. I worry about everything, from if I left the car headlights on to if I'm hearing everything in a conversation. It's difficult to write about to explain just how much I worry. It's not typical anxiety that people experience in new social situations or when they are in a new place. It's constant.

Stuff No One Told Me
I even worry in my sleep. I talk in my sleep and often it is to ask Scotty worried (and nonsensical) questions about if everyone in the house is here, and stuff like that.

If I could, I would love to relax a bit, but worrying has become a big part of who I am; it's kind of a way of exerting mental control over my situation. So, if I could, I would change some of the habits that come from worrying. For example, the OCD-like way I check the car headlights, make sure I locked it, make sure the doors are closed all the way, and make sure I shut the refrigerator door. Sometimes I can convince myself I don't need to check things multiple times, but most of the time it sits there bothering me until I check. Since it takes away time from what I'm doing, that's what I'd change.

1 comment:

  1. I'd say I'm borderline the same way - I can't sleep if I'm not 100% confident the front door is locked or if I think I may have left a light on downstairs. luckily my headlights automatically turn off & our fridge beeps if it's still open, but I do tend to check things more than once, just to make sure although it was a lot worse when before I left for college.

    ReplyDelete