Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Review: Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest BestiarySquirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary by David Sedaris

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Maybe I ought to listen to a Sedaris audiobook sometime instead of just reading it. Given these Goodreads reviews it sounds like he adds a lot to his stories when he reads them aloud.

I don't know, I liked this, but I felt like something was lacking. They're animal stories, only the animals are pretty much human, and they're trying to tell something, like an Aesop fable, only it's really over the top so it's pretty obvious. Oh, and there are creepy cool illustrations... I was surprised at how much the eyes getting plucked out bugged me.

What kept bothering me was the way the animal world was presented. Every animal from a top predator on down is conscious and can talk and communicate, but they all still get eaten. I guess if I imagine myself as a little gerbil in the animal kingdom I would be pretty much catatonic with fear all the time, and also, I would not let myself be put in a zoo, especially if I was a giant hippopotamus, and especially not if I had leeches in my butt as a result.

Okay. Off to look for the audiobook, if there is one yet.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment